[Xastir] Built on Linux-PPC, but can't transmit my position

Jeff Laughlin jlaughli at vtc.edu
Wed Mar 5 15:15:47 EST 2003

>I assume you're using a serial-port TNC interface (KISS or non?).
>What sort of TNC?  TH-D7A?  Did you change to the proper TNC setup
>file for whatever TNC you're using?

It's a TH-D7a. I am using the tnc-startup.thd7 startup file.

>How do you know it's not transmitting your position?

I first observed that the radio wasn't transmitting. Then to debug the
situation, I connected a cable directly from the XASTIR box's serial port
to another workstation's serial port and observed the output. XASTIR sends
the commands from the tnc-startup.thd7 file. If I create an object on the
map, XASTIR sends the correct commands to transmit the object's position.
But it never sends the station position report.

Here is the output as I'm receiving it from the XASTIR box's serial port

************* Starting XASTIR
UNPROTO CQ
AUTOLF AWlen 8
BBSMsgs ON
B E 0
LOC E 0
Echo off
FLow off
AUTOLF off
MCOM off
MON ON
MRPt on
PACLen 128
PASSALL off
HBAUD 1200
************ Then nothing. I wait 1 minute. I go to "Transmit Now!" and
still nothing.
************ Now I'm creating an object.
MYCALL N1YWB
UNPROTO APX114 VIA RELAY,WIDE
CONV
;foo      *051515z4350.48N\07509.06W!
************ Looks good. But still no staion position report.
************ I got to "Transmit Now!" again. Still nothing.
************ End of output.

>It sounds like you're not seeing a physical transmit.  If
>you just cranked the transmit rate up, you might want to restart in
>order to make the new rate kick in.

The transmit rate is set to 30seconds, and I have restarted XASTIR since
setting that.

>Is it possible that you have "Interfaces->Disable Transmit: My
>Position" turned on?

Definitely not turned on.

>Is it possible that you have "Send compressed posits" turned on?

Definitely not turned on.

I'm at a bit of a loss :/ Could this be a bug?

-73, Jeff