[Xastir] NMEA v2.1 GSA Sentences case very high CPU load

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Mar 6 12:55:41 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Jeff Laughlin wrote:

> When the GPS unit is in v2.1 mode, XASTIR and X cause very high CPU loads.

> I believe the cause of this load is that every second XASTIR prints in the
> status line "Got GGA String" then "Got RMC String". It probably shouldn't
> print those status strings.
>
> So, why not just use the v1.5 modes? There are two good reasons.
> 1: The v1.5 modes do not output altitude.
> 2: My TH-D7a requires v2.1
>
> So there you have it. The solution is probably as simple as just not
> printing those status strings every time it gets those sentences.

Sounds reasonable as a fix.  The problem then comes in:  How to let
people know that valid data is being seen?  Perhaps just let them
know when a GPS interface is enabled and valid data is NOT being
seen?

What do people think about this one?

Because of that last problem Jeff brought up (a very good one Jeff,
made me have to _think_!), I'm wanting to do a popup when GPS data
goes stale anyway, letting the user know that posits are disabled
and that the GPS needs to be checked.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin