[Xastir] Segfault when indexing maps

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Mar 17 13:04:12 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Tim wrote:

> I have downloaded some 1:24,000 DRG USGS maps from
> http://www.rdms.udel.edu/drgdlg/dg_sc.html
> Now when I start xastir, I get a message
> "Caught Segfault! Xastir will terminate
> Last incoming line was:"
>
> Removing the new map file from the directory allows xastir to start
> normally.
>
> The error also occurs with 1:100,000 maps from the same source.
>
> I am using V1.1.4
>
> Any ideas on possible causes and a remedy?

Yea.  It's possible that those are not true DRG files, but DRG-E
(enhanced).  If they are modified from what the USGS originally
distributed, either by chopping off the map collars or by using
MrSID compression, Xastir won't work with them.

Another possibility is that you may have installed
libproj/libgeotiff in the incorrect order or via some method that
was not per the installation instructions in README.1ST.

Can you get a plain vanilla USGS geoTIFF topo to display?  If not,
and try again.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin