[Xastir] Re:Xastir and GPS

Mike Fenske mike_fenske at telus.net
Tue Mar 18 10:02:23 EST 2003

Further to my previous questions, I did some testing yesterday with CVS
from Saturday, March 15. It appears that the GPS check interval is not
working or I am not understanding it's purpose. With GPS check interval set
to 20 seconds, I noticed that my position on the map is actually updated
about every second, which is about the same as how often my gps outputs
data. In order to reduce the CPU load on my old laptop, I was hoping to
have Xastir check gps position less often.

Mike Fenske
VE7MKF

>Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:32:42 -0800
>To: 	xastir at krypton.hscs.virginia.edu
>From: Mike Fenske <mike_fenske at telus.net>
>Subject: Xastir and GPS
>
>Hello all. I have been testing Xastir mobile using an old Pentium 100
laptop (24mb ram and Suse 7.3) and soundmodem as TNC. All works fine, but I
noticed that when I start GPS interface, CPU usage goes way up. After
having it running for say 30-60 minutes, Xastir is using about 25-30% CPU
and X is using about 45-50%. If I stop GPS interface, Xastir usage drops to
2-3% and X to 0-5%. I have position transmit interval at 5 minutes and GPS
check interval at 20 seconds. I noticed also that the red arrow indicating
incoming data for the GPS interface is on continuously. I am using CVS from
about a week ago. Also noticed that after I stopped GPS interface and
clicked on my station and then "station information" Xastir goes to 93% cpu
usage and is still there after 45 minutes. A window is open that has title
"compute_decorations test". Any ideas??