[Xastir] using aprsworld maps

James Jefferson jj at aprsworld.net
Wed Mar 26 12:47:12 EST 2003

> 2) Has anyone used aprsworld maps with xastir?  I would believe that
> something has been attempted.  I went to:
> http://maps.aprsworld.net/docs/xastir.php and there is some information
> there but I am not sure how it applies.  There is also a map file at
> http://maps.aprsworld.net/mapserver/xastir.map but if I copy it down it
> gives me a whole string of errors.

I'll try to answer the aprsworld.net question.

I've made some attempts at adding support to xastir for the maps that
maps.aprsworld.net generates. At this point xastir does not yet support them,
and the problem is with aprsworld not xastir.

The technical answer: The problem is that the mapserver maps.aprsworld.net
uses does not use the exact extent specified. In other words, if you request
an image that would appear to be distorted, mapserver will change the extent
to make the image not distort. For some reason or another, xastir also does
this, and the result is an image that appears compressed on the y-axis. Here
are some screen shots of the problem:

http://aprsworld.net/tmp/xastir-screen.png
http://aprsworld.net/tmp/xastir-shot1.png
http://aprsworld.net/tmp/xastir-shot2.png

It appears that I'm going to have to do some serious hacking of mapserver to
make it give me images with the exact extent specified.

-Jim KB0THN