[Fwd: [Fwd: [Xastir] Big traffic on ethernet]]

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Mar 31 15:33:49 EST 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Zoli wrote:

> > after few weeks ago xastir generate big traffic on ethernet when I click
> > Transmit now button or send a short message (approx. 7sec) . I have
> > debian sid and xastir 1.1.4 from CVS.
> > What happened? Any ideas?
>
> I capture transmitted ethernet packets, you can see in attach (my
> callsign: HG5OB-12, my IP: 192.168.0.1 and xastir was connected to
> hg8lxl.ham.hu aprsd server)
> As I see, only one character transmitted in every ethernet frame. Why?
> Receive always OK.

The only thing I can think of is that the TCP/IP protocol between
your box and the remote end may have changed the windows over time,
perhaps because of some period where it was having difficulties
getting things through, so one side or the other cranked down the
amount of data per packet.

Xastir doesn't mess with the networking stuff at such a low level.
It just creates a socket and sends stuff through it.  If the socket
goes down, it creates a new one.

You may be seeing it only with Xastir though because it Xastir keeps
sockets up for a long period of time.  You could try it with a test
program that kept a socket open to a remote server for a long period
of time to see if perhaps your box had a problem in it's networking
software.

If anyone else has any ideas on this, please step in.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin