[Xastir] couple quick q's

N1OFZ n1ofz at arrl.net
Thu May 1 22:26:40 EDT 2003

Got a few questions I hope are simple:

Q1: How do you determine the tiepoints of a noaa map?  I want to use:
http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.kokx.shtml for my home
area but I have no ideas at to the coordinates.  Is it trial and error?

Q2: I have 5 tiger maps that I use 99% of the time.  I have them
bookmarked for quick recall.  Is there anyway I can save these maps so
they don't have to be reloaded from the tiger server every time?  Even
with the cable modem it does take more than a few seconds.

Q3: Finally has anyone ever thought of adding the ability to display
more than one map at a time?  I dedicated an old 300 Mhz G3 w/ 1GB ram
and OSX for Xastir only.  I have 3 17" displays hooked up to it all at
1024X768.  The far left display has my main map at full screen.  The
middle display has things like the messages window and incoming packet
data.  The final display is empty.  I'd love to be able to display
street level maps on the other display.  I have been successful doing
this by running multiple instances of Xastir but it is not optimal to
do it this way at all as it requires me to run 2 tncs for local traffic
and two connections to the same Internet server.  I could do without
the Internet server on the street level map but I can't see how to get
around the two tnc issue.  Ideas?

Thanks for the great product!
Dana
N1OFZ