[Xastir] User-Mode Soundmodem for Xastir ax25

marky5 marky5 at mail.ev1.net
Fri May 2 17:02:35 EDT 2003

Attn:

I have setup a working RedHat 8.0, Xastir 1.4, Ax25 soundmodem configuration using a Soundblaster awe64 sound card on a Dell PII 233 PC.  I used modprobe ax25, modprobe soundmodem, sethdlc and ifconfig (plus parameters) to setup the soundmodem AX25 packet device. I then loaded Xastir and LinPac

I am now attempting to setup RedHat 9.0 on a different machine with a Soundblaster compatible i801 sound card.  The card will configure and will send-receive tones using the Soundmodemconfig program.  I want to use the "User_mode Soundmodem" method of setting up a soundmodem configuration but am unable to find any documentation on this particular type of setup.  The AX-25-How-To document just briefly describes the topic and gives a url that only forwards to Thomas Sailor's home page.   The Soundmodemconfig program creates the file soundmodem.conf, which contains many of the settings necessary to setup the ax25 packet soundmodem.  What additional steps can I take to use this soundmodem.conf file?

I am unable to configure the i801 card using the soundmodem setup that was used on the first PC.

"Permission denied" or "device not found" displays when I try to bring up the device with these two different settings:

sethdlc -p -i sm0 mode "sbc:afsk1200" io 0x220 irq 7 dma 1 serio 0x378

(using settings as found by the command modprobe -c|grep irq.)

sethdlc -p -i sm0 mode "sbc:afsk1200" io 2x000 irq 11 dma 1 serio 0x3f8

(using setting as found in /proc directory files:  pci, ioports, and interrupts.)

Aliases were checked in the /etc/modules.conf file.

Once I get this figured out, I will start loading Xastir.

Any help is appreciated.

marky