[Xastir] Wx Boxes Fixed

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Tue May 6 12:31:44 EDT 2003

I had a thought a while back that I stored in the big "to-Do" list.

Perl would be a useful tool for doing demos on Xastir like this.

Have 2 or more multiple files. One could be this 0504filter.txt file.
Another could be a standard track, or multiple track files, say for
example kc8obz-14.trk and kg5qd.trk.

The perl script could automaticly change the expiration date for each of
the weather events to match current system time.

Then the script could generate a new file with the tracks mixed in, so
that as the storm moves across the region, western counties would light
up first followed by eastern counties later.  The tracker/observers
would also move from west to east to keep ahead of the storm.

Finally, the script could output it to a tcp/ip port in say, for
example, formatted AGWPE packets in a steady 2 seconds per packet, which
could be adjustable for speeding up or slowing down the demo.  Xastir
just connects to an AGWPE port on the local machine and listens.  The
perl script would naturally ignore all incoming packets from xastir.

I've seen a lot of tracks replayed in Xastir, read in from files so fast
that they are over moments after they start.  Using perl to control the
pace of the output would make it considerable easier on the development
team.

Anyway.  It's a future idea that I kinda liked.  I may even get inspired
and do it myself someday. (^8  Hey, anything's possible.

Dick R. - KC8OBZ