[Xastir] How to make Sound Alerts work under Cygwin

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Thu May 8 14:57:38 EDT 2003

I figured I'd share exactly what I did to make the sound alerts work in
xastir under Cygwin.
Sound support seems to be just one of the many many quirks of trying to use
*nix native software under Microsoft OS's.  Hope this helps someone else.

FYI: This was tested under Win2000

Sound alert support under Cygwin using Network Audio Server (NAS)

I downloaded http://nas.intra-links.net/files/nas-1.6-win-binary.zip and
decompressed the archive
with winzip (any zip utility should work fine) into a temporary folder.

I deleted the "cygwin1.dll" and "README.txt" files that came in the package
since they aren't needed and the extra cygwin1.dll can cause problems.

Then copy the remaining files from the package into the /bin directory
under cygwin.

All that is needed to make nas available to xastir is to load the server
before running xastir.
To load NAS for xastir to use simply type "nasd -local -b" from
cygwin.  This command will load the NAS server in the background and will
only allow local users to access it.  For more command options type "nasd
-help" from within cygwin.

After NAS is loaded you can load xastir as you normally would.

Once xastir is running, to play sound alerts you need to change the default
configuation to use "auplay"

 From within xastir click on File>Configure>Audio Alarms.
The "Audio Play Command" box should be changed to "auplay"
Then ensure the audio files listed to play are located in
"/usr/local/xastir/sounds" directory.

Click ok to accept the changes and be sure to save your config before
exiting xastir or sound will not work the next time it is loaded.

Turn up the volume on your PC speakers and enjoy the noise xastir makes.