[Xastir] More testing with cygwin--gpsman/gpsmanshp

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Fri May 9 23:51:40 EDT 2003

At 05:27 PM 5/9/2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>On Fri, 9 May 2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:
> > gcc -shared -o gpsmanshp.so -lshp -ltcl8.3 gpsmanshp.o
> > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> > cannot find -ltcl8.3
>
>That you can't ignore.  You need to install TCL in Cygwin.  It's
>looking for a filename like "libtcl8.3.exe".
>
>Hopefully you can install TCL version 8.3.  If you install a
>different version, you'll need to tweak a file or two in gpsmanshp
>and recompile.

I already have tcl 8.4 installed from the cygwin packages.  I tried to
tweak the makefile to show the different version information and even
without any version info and it still doesn't work.

now when I run make I get several errors similar to :

gpsmanshp.o(.txt+0x2b69):gpsmanshp.c: undefined reference to 'Tcl_CreateObjcom
mand'

using these modifications to the makefile:

TCLVERSION = 84

INSTALLDIR = /usr/lib/tcl$(TCLVERSION)

CFLAGS = -Wall -fPIC -c -I/usr/include/tcl
LINKOPT = -lshp -ltcl$(TCLVERSION)

A quick scan of the various cygwin mailing lists shows several programs
have some sort of trouble with "-ltcl" when compiling but I couldn't find
any details of what was changed to make it work.

I'm not very clear on what is going on while it's compiling... hopefully
someone understands it better than I.