[Xastir] more "stupid cygwin/xastir tricks"

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue May 20 15:29:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:

> I've been tinkering again.... I was looking for a way to load multiple
> instances of Xastir under windows using different usernames.  Cygwin
> doesn't use the "login" function like it should so it isn't as simple as it
> should be.  Here's one way I got it to work.

How about this:  Open a new BASH shell.

    su <username>
    xastir &

Does that work ok?

There's also another trick to get it to use the login environment of
a user:

    su - <username>
    su -l <username>
    su --login <username>

(from the BASH man page).

> I can't think of too many good reasons to run more than one xastir session
> on a single windows machine but it amused me so I thought I'd share.  Maybe
> someone would have a real reason to do so... I was just bored.

Testing.  Multiple map views at once.  Another couple of reasons to
run more than one.

I was running four copies yesterday.  Today it's 2 or 3.  One copy
has been up for 82 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes, 2 seconds (longevity
testing).

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin