[Xastir] Serial KISS interface - long delays

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu May 29 10:45:15 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> I used to use kernel AX.25, but somehow, seemingly randomly, something
> happened that screwed up my ax.25 setup.

Same here.  It turned out to be that the parameters changed from
10ms steps to 1ms steps in the kernel, and an SuSE upgrade broke my
AX.25 because of that.  That's actually the reason that I wrote the
serial KISS interface code, so that I could operate again.  Turns
out cranking up my numbers by 10 in AX.25 configs would have got me
running a bit more quickly.  ;-)

> I believe that Curt fixed the similar issue that happened on internet
> interfaces last month or so, but I think there was some reason to not apply
> the fix to serial-port interfaces.

That's it.  For serial TNC interfaces we do character pacing, so as
not to overrun slow TNC's (like an old dual-port PicoPacket that I
have).

It shouldn't really hurt your RF operations in any way.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin