[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 5 16:38:56 EST 2003

The pretty maps are all based on commercial products such as UIview's
use of Precision Mapping maps.  You can find some nice DRG rasters which
are scans of USGS paper maps.  Otherwise you can play around with
shapefile maps, but they are not so pretty as say those made by
Precision Mapping.  It's hard work to get automatically rendered maps to
look nice.  Of course, Xastir is freeware and uses free map data so I
feel a little better about the maps not being so pretty.  I believe
there's some work going on with respect to caching of downloaded maps.
I too want my Xastir station to work "unplugged."

If you use shapefile maps and "configure --with-dbfawk" you can do some
customization of how the shapefile maps look, but they still look
amateurish (that's a good thing, right? :-)  See README.MAPS.  Read it
about 6 times and it will start to sink in;  There's a lot of dense
information in there.

73 de Alan N2YGK