[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Wed Nov 5 19:18:02 EST 2003

At 03:23 PM 11/5/2003, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>This is probably an FAQ, but I've been driving myself nuts trying to
>find a map format that isn't ugly as all get out.

As others have mentioned.... With dbfawk support installed you can make the
tiger shapefiles to look "prettier"

>The dynamic Tiger displays are beatiful!  I want these all the time, but I
>don't have any kind of mobile Internet access out here in the sticks and
>apparently there is no way to cache the data that is downloaded to disk
>so the image files could be rebuilt later.  If only the Tiger files I
>downloaded could look so good with colored roads and nicely defined
>urban areas.

The cvs version of Xastir will allow you to use the dynamic maps to a
limited extent off line.  You can now generate .geo files for the
snapshot.png that Xastir can create.  Might not be the best solution but if
you make enough snapshots and save them as different names with the updated
info in the .geo file then you can have the same looking maps that you'd
normally only have available online.

>Does anyone have a really nice map format that they use from the hard
>drive?  BTW, I'm using Xastir 1.2.0 on Debian Testing.

I have a few .geo files with the associated image files that I use along
with some shapefile maps I've been tweaking with dbfawk.