[Xastir] USGS DLG "Optional" format and shapefiles

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Thu Nov 6 01:05:27 EST 2003

Before I go off and waste time writing a converter (which might never get
finished... sigh), does anyone on this list know how to convert USGS DLG
"Optional" format vector layers into shapefiles (without owning a copy of
ArcView --- it's apparently easy that way)?

There are two quads (count 'em, TWO) in my local area for which road layers
updated after 1972 are only available in Optional format instead of SDTS,
and while I have the files I can't seem to find any converters that aren't
Avenue scripts for ArcView, or commercial products for $150.  I could
conceivably pull them into GRASS and export them to shapefiles, but GRASS's
support for multi-category vector layers is abysmal --- once I import it into
GRASS I pretty much lose all the entity labels defining feature type in any
way that would wind up in the exported shapefile.

Anyone know of a simple converter?  I hate to dig into the DLG standard
deep enough to write a converter for two lousy files.  Alternatively, does
anyone on the list own a copy of ArcView and have enough spare time to
run DLG2SHP.avx on two files?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/