[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Nov 6 12:55:56 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I only had a few minutes to do a Google search and found the UI-View
> site and some topographic relief maps.  While great from a macro
> perspective, they're too blocky to be useful when zoomed in tight.

That's why I personally despise raster maps!  They have some uses
for fixed stations with internet access, and for topo maps, where
there are few other options.  Weather radar is another worthwhile
use.

For being able to zoom indefinitely and complete control over how a
map is drawn, nothing can beat vector maps.  They're also typically
smaller for the same information as raster maps.  That means they
might load faster/keep up with you as you drive better.

For driving and SAR, I use USGS DRG topo maps (raster) and
Tiger/Line data that has been converted to ESRI Shapefile format
(vector).  I also have GNIS files for the state so that I can do
searches for a map feature.

If you can define specifically what you don't like about the
Shapefile street maps, perhaps someone on here can help you to
change your settings so that they do meet your requirements.  More
information than "doesn't look like the Tigermap server" please.
;-)

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin