[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Thu Nov 6 21:17:14 EST 2003

It's a new feature in the latest CVS.  See README and README.MAPS.  You
have to build xastir with dbfawk enabled.  This is done with:

./configure --with-dbfawk

It's called dbfawk because of an awk-like syntax. If you are familiar
with the awk language, invented by Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan,
you'll be comfortable with it.  It takes the shapefile metadata (names
and other attributes) from the .dbf file and lets you tell xastir how to
display those attributes in a fairly straightforward way.  This
functionality is currently hardcoded in the shapefile map support for a
limited number of shapefile types.  I wrote dbfawk to generalize this
without having to add more hard-coded logic to the shapefile processing
code.

There are good examples of dbfawk usage listed in README.MAPS.
/a