[Xastir] Re: World shapefile map

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 20 20:28:43 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Wilbert Knol wrote:
>
> > So, for the world shapefile map, I *do* need tiger.geo ?
> > (Not "tigermap.geo" as per below??)
>
> Sorry, "tigermap.geo".  It's in your "xastir" source directory if
> you've updated CVS recently.

I have trouble keeping track of multiple questions regarding multiple
subjects when the e-mail QSO ends up lasting multiple days.  I
usually don't have time to go back and read an entire thread, so I
get you mixed up with other simultaneous QSO's with other people.

For a Shapefile map, you need Shapelib compiled in.  Period.  Each
map consists of three or more files.  Xastir requires the .shp, .shx,
and .dbf files.

For Tigermap/Terraserver/Toposerver, you need wget or libcurl, plus
ImageMagick, plus whatever ImageMagick requires (that can change
drastically).  For other .geo files, skip the wget/libcurl
requirement unless you're using the map files directly off the 'net.

For DRG topo maps, you need libtiff/libproj/libgeotiff compiled in.
We require the .tif and the .fgd files out of the set.  You can fake
a .fgd file though if required, or use one of our scripts to create
enough of them for Xastir to use.

Most of the other map types we support are supported with basic
Xastir directly, no other libs required.  One exception would be
XPM, but most Unix and Unix-like systems have the XPM libraries.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer