[Xastir] Tons of Tiger maps -- can we use them? (fwd)

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Tue Nov 25 09:02:22 EST 2003

Jack,

	I demo'd FME Suite a while back.  I was looking for functionality of
converting VPF (VMAP0 and VMAP1 from NIMA) to shapefile and also of
shoving it into PostGIS.  I did a quick try at converting some TIGER
files and it appeared to work pretty well.  I was also able to shoot
both shapefiles and VPFs straight into PostGIS. The big thing is to make
sure you've got plenty of memory in the machine.  It really likes to
chew on RAM.  Be a little careful about the configuration instructions
and be prepared to download a beta version from the FTP site if you run
into any problems. <G>  I had to do that twice.

	The key to splitting out the layers is the Census Feature Class Code
(CFCC).  The spec on the web site defines them all.  I also did some
tests running them through ogr2ogr and then shoving them into PostGIS.
I'd like to see all the TIGER data in PostGIS and shared around as
database dumps.

				THX/BDH