[Xastir] Re: Tons of Tiger Maps -- can we use them?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Nov 25 20:30:38 EST 2003

Hmmm.  Sounds like your area hasn't been reflown recently with digital
acquisition.  USGS is updating large areas of the country, but they
refly rapidly growing urban areas more frequently than rural/ag areas or
slow-growing urban regions.

Another potential problem: In the old days, hand digitization off large
format aerial photos was the norm and a lot of the work was done by
interns and summer-hires, often high school kids.  Let's say that
digitization accuracy was often better in August than June, and there
was no accounting for some digitizing after big parties...  Finally,
recall that the aerial photos were only as good as the days they were
flown on.  When the kids digitized them, they often had to guess about
what was underneath that cloud or canopy cover.

73, gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173