[Xastir] Error getting CVS sources

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Oct 6 14:06:49 EDT 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Chris Hare, KD5WIM wrote:

> I am in the process of trying to rebuild xastir from scratch and having lots
> of weird problems.  One of them is being able to get the CVS sources.  When
> running the command from README.CVS I get the error:
>
> [chare at zeta xastir]$
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir login
> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/xastir
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
> [chare at zeta xastir]$
>
> My .cvsrc file has
>
> [chare at zeta chare]$ more .cvsrc
> cvs -z3
> update -P -d
> status -v
> [chare at zeta chare]$
>
> There is no .cvspass file.

Are you running on Windows?  You might try "touch .cvspass" to
create a blank .cvspass file, then retry the command.  On Unix
and/or Unix-like systems you shouldn't need to create the .cvspass
ahead-of-time, cvs should do it for you.

I suspect though that it's just the anonymous CVS server timing out
on you.  It's going through some growing pains right now, and you
might have to try several times before you can get it to succeed.
The "up arrow" key is your friend in this case (at least with the
BASH shell it is!).

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin