[Xastir] Re: Bounding boxes [Re: USGS maps no longer free]

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Tue Oct 7 13:16:08 EDT 2003

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:09:55PM -0600, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort
> Lee, New Jersey <russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us> writes 'Dear Rosanne
> Rosannadanna':
>>
>> But I'm concerned about the actual values in Tyler's examples --- USGS
>> maps are usually defined by very simple lat/lons --- for example, the
>> 7.5-minute quads are aligned so that they have west boundaries of,
>> say, 106d-105d52m30s for one map, 105d52m30s-105d45m for the next one
>> to the east, 105d45m-105d37m30s for the next, etc.  That the
>> re-projected corner points don't map to neat values concerns me ---
>> perhaps they were projected back using the wrong datum?  The
>> difference seems too great for that, though.
>
> And now that I think about it, the data listed by listgeo are probably the
> corner coordinates of the entire image, not the data for the map collar
> ---
> therefore making their use in an FGD file pointless.

So if the entire geotiff file is the topographic data, thus no stripping
required, and the ENTIRE listgeo output from that tif file is:

------------------------------
Geotiff_Information:
   Version: 1
   Key_Revision: 1.0
   Tagged_Information:
      ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
         0                0                0
         5205005.7        4299352.26       0
      ModelPixelScaleTag (1,3):
         6.6667           6.6667           0
      End_Of_Tags.
   Keyed_Information:
      End_Of_Keys.
   End_Of_Geotiff.

Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left    (5205005.699,4299352.261)
Lower Left    (5205005.699,4253418.698)
Upper Right   (5241025.879,4299352.261)
Lower Right   (5241025.879,4253418.698)
Center        (5223015.789,4276385.479)
---------------

What would the FGD file need to be?

The documentation for the file (at the Kentucky GIS website) says it is in
NAD83 format in zone 16 with:
South = 39.000
West = -84.75
North = 39.125
East = -84.625

I try plugging in the Upper Left/etc coordinates into Xastir or even cs2cs
and they look NOTHING like the ones provided in the documentation (eg:
39.000) In fact Xastir will not accept "16N 5205005 4299352" as a valid
coordinate. If I drop one of the digits from the '5205005' number it
calculates. Maybe there is something wrong with the coordinates in the
geotiff file?

If I use the coords provided above (eg: 39.000) in the FGD, file Xastir
fails to load the image at debug level 16 with an error:

NW neat-line corner = -84.750000        39.125000
Problem in translating
NE neat-line corner = -84.625000        39.125000
Problem in translating
SW neat-line corner = -84.750000        39.000000
Problem in translating
SE neat-line corner = -84.625000        39.000000
Problem in translating

I realize that the geotiff file is using the Kentucky Single State Plane
Zone (whatever that is) but I figured I could at least get the image to
display in Xastir...even if it was not correctly positioned.

For reference...the zip containing the geotiff file is located here:
ftp://kymartian.ky.gov/krgs/B40.zip
(note: the tif is compressed in a format Xastir doesnt like so I had to
geotifcp -c none the file)

Metadata information here:
http://kymartian.ky.gov/krgmaps/KRG_Metadata.pdf

Any help on getting this to work would be appreciated. Once I/we figure
this out I'll be able to write up a HOWTO for getting the Kentucky (and
possibly Ohio) geotiff files to work in Xastir.

-Tyler