[Xastir] PNG snapshot problem

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 11 22:19:34 EDT 2003

On 11 Oct 2003, Chris Hare, KD5WIM wrote:

> I just downloaded the October 10 snapshot and compiled it.  But I am
> having the same problem as with the Oct 1 version.  When I run xastir
> and turn on PNG snapshots, I get the following error when xastir aborts:

The error you showed was fairly generic X11 stuff, which doesn't tell
us why Xastir died.

I suspect that your ImageMagick setup may be flawed.  I would try
using the "convert" command from the command line to verify that you
can convert from an XPM file to a PNG file, and also verify that an
XPM snapshot file was created in the ~/.xastir/tmp directory.  If
the file exists there, you've got an XPM format snapshot of the
Xastir drawing area.

Another problem that you can have, which doesn't appear to kill
Xastir, but nevertheless is a problem, is that the "convert" command
will die when it tries to convert an XPM file, where the XPM file
last line is not just

};

On some of my systems, those two characters get appended to the last
image line instead, and then ImageMagick doesn't recognize it as a
valid XPM file.  "xv" handles it just fine.  Adding a linefeed ahead
of those characters makes ImageMagick happy as well.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer