[Xastir] No readme.1st?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Sep 5 12:59:16 EDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Tyler Allison wrote:

> Lots of online documentation and mailing list archives are pointing people
> to readme.1st yet I find no evidence of such a file existing anymore.

The doc files got reorganized a few months back and that file is no
more.  The nice thing is that some rather large files are now split
up into a much better organization.

> Is there a doc on how someone might generate an APRS message outside of
> Xastir and then 'inject' it into the APRS network via Xastir? Im
> specifically looking at generating a string of data that I want to send
> out via RF and I dont want to have conflicts with the ONE tnc I have
> plugged into Xastir. I figure I can either go direct to the com port on
> linux (possible locking issues with Xastir, and could get ugly) or I could
> have xastir grab the string/file and send it off as a message from my
> station. Think of it like you want to write a quick message via 'cat >
> file' and you want Xastir to take the contents of 'file' and send it off
> to the APRS network.
>
> I was hoping there was some command like 'Xastir-inject [message|file]'

I use Perl scripts to do the same thing, injecting them directly
into internet servers.  That's how the quake, h2o, and some of the
fire objects get injected into the APRS-IS and into the Firenet
feeds.

We have no direct way to inject them into Xastir, but that feature
has been requested before.

You theoretically should be able to hook Xastir to one end of a
named pipe and inject packets into the other end of the pipe.  Look
at the "mkfifo" command.  If you get this working, write up a blurb
on it and we'll add it to the docs.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin