[Xastir] Smaller displays & touchscreens

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Sep 5 17:37:59 EDT 2003

I've made some changes to help Xastir fit better onto smaller
displays.  Some changes are noticeable on the menu bar, others are
hidden in #define's near the top of main.c.  There's more work yet
to do:  Some of the dialogs don't fit that size of screen.

My device has a 640x480 color display and a touchscreen.  It has a
PS/2 mouse input, but I'm trying to get by without a
mouse/trackball.  Someday perhaps I'll be able to chuck the keyboard
as well.  This touchscreen driver controls only mouse button 1.

Enabling the define's make using a touchscreen much nicer:  You can
get all of the functionality of Xastir minus the middle-button
zoom-out and the zoom-to-box function.  The other mouse functions
are now found on the first mouse button, where the touchscreen can
access them.  Enabling "Measure" or "Move" will disable the menu
popup until you disable those toggle buttons.

If you leave main.c alone, the only changes you'll notice are that
the labels on the Zoom keys/menu entries have changes, and the menu
bar has been re-ordered slightly.

New #define's, probably most useful on a very low-res display:

#define USE_SMALL_SYSTEM_FONT (This one will make you squint!)
#define FIXED_DIALOG_STARTUP  (Dialogs start near Xastir's upper-left)
#define SWAP_MOUSE_BUTTONS    (Puts mouse menu on Button1)

Others that may be of interest.  These make the fonts much larger
and easier to read:

#define USE_LARGE_SYSTEM_FONT
#define USE_LARGE_STATION_FONT

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com