[Xastir] Install problem

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Wed Sep 17 09:18:25 EDT 2003

At 07:00 AM 9/17/2003, James Cour wrote:
>I have gone through the entire install routine twice now, but can't get
>Xastir to work.  The download and install of Cygwin seems to work fine,
>and I can download the Xastir components without problem.  However, when I
>try to compile Xastir and get to the "./configure"  step I get a warning
>message:
>
>/home/James : /home/james: No such file or directory

That is what's killing it. it was mentioned a few days ago but Xastir and
*nix in general doesn't like spaces in file names.  I have compiled xastir
with all the extra libraries that are known to work under cygwin even with
a space in my user name like you have.  An easy fix is to simply create a
directory called "/home/james" under cygwin.  Xastir will compile and all
of the normal directories xastir creates under your home directory will be
where they belong.  The only thing that doesn't like the space is
ImageMagick when trying to convert the snapshots from xpm to png.

>configure: WARNING: 'missing' script is too old or missing

I get the same.... ignore it.

>Since my Windows login name is "James Cour" I wonder if the embedded space
>causes problems?  If so, do I have to change this and reinstall?

I does..... you can either do the kludge I mentioned above or change your
login name to be a single word...