[Xastir] New Search & Rescue featured added

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Sep 18 16:22:41 EDT 2003

NOTE:  This new feature should show up in tomorrow's CVS.

The ability to draw probability circles was just added.  You'll
notice a new layout for the create/modify objects/items dialog and a
new button.  Click on the button and it'll change to a default hiker
symbol (but still user-changeable), and will display min/max input
fields.

Input the min/max distance that a person of that type/age can travel
over that type of terrain and it'll draw two circles around that
object.  The object is typically a hiker, and labeled "PLS" for
"point last seen", although if more than one search is going in some
RF area, I could see the need for changing to another name.

Anyway, this helps to concentrate the search in the most probable
area, and is just one of several things I hope to add to Xastir to
support SAR operations.

Once I get good data, I'll add a form that will calculate the
min/max distances for you automatically given a few specifics about
the subject and terrain.  I don't have the books on this so have to
beg and plead for the info first.

The new feature currently has hard-coded english text and is in
miles only.  I'll try to make that more world-centric instead of
U.S.-centric later as well.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin