[Xastir] Stuck on Shapelib

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Sep 19 16:35:15 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, James Cour wrote:

> I am really stuck on getting Xastir reinstalled (it was working
> back in June for Field Day, but then I deleted the wrong directory
> - blush).  I have started over at least 5 or 6 times, going so far
> as to create new user profiles just as an experiment and each time
> I have done a registry scrub just to make sure that there is
> nothing left behind before I attempt a fresh install.

Just a note, Xastir and it's supporting libraries installed under
Cygwin don't touch the registry.

Cygwin might though, don't know.

> Everything goes fine until I try to install Shapelib.  It crashes
> on the "Make Lib" step, with an error of " . . . undefined
> reference to '__getreent'".  Now I am no C programmer, but should
> __getreent have two underscores in front of the text or just one?
> When I edited the reent.h file, all the references seem to be
> _reent but it may be that I am just ignorant of the proper syntax.
> It there some way to tease the compiler into finding the missing
> code by adding path commands or something similar to the
> environment before the compile step?

That's actually a Cygwin bug.  I don't know how to get around it
other than what's specified in README.win32.  That's how I initially
got around it, and I documented it QUICK before I forgot.

I'll have to try another Cygwin install sometime soon.  It's just
not at the high-end of my priority list, seeking out and then
sitting down at a Windows box.  hi hi

Anyone else struggled with this and got past it recently?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin