[Xastir] compile/install 1.2.1 for Linux

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Sep 21 09:41:07 EDT 2003

Aha! Later response!  So I didn't get as far behind as I think I did?

Orrin Winton wrote:
> Gerry, you wrote:
>

>>Is the imagemagick devel package installed?
>

> (Info: this is Linux now, not Cygwin.  Compiling
> 1.2.1 for Cygwin has gone just fine.)

I don't do Windows (just ask my kids; they're not happy with me right
now over that!  :-)

> Well, i'd gone to www.imagemagick.org and snagged
> binaries (not source) for 5.5.7, but now i don't
> know if they were 'development' libraries or not.
> Also, I wonder if i should be compiling from source?

Probably should be compiling from source...

> What version of imagemagick are people using
> now that works?  (This is for Linux, not Cygwin now.)
> And are they using binaries or compiling from source.

I've got 5.5.6 and everything appears to work.

> Can i find 5.5.3 binaries for Linux, or source?
>
> After i got 5.5.7 from www.imagemagick.org, i did:
>
> cp -R * /usr
>
> Does that constitute "installing" it?
>
> Also, the compile errors i get (below) are when
> i have IMAGE_MAGICK defined:

The libs might have been dropped in /usr/lib but you need to check.

Then, you need to make sure /usr/lib is referenced in /etc/ld.so.conf
and THEN you need to run, as root, /sbin/ldconfig

>>>(make clean;make -j3 2>&1) | tee make.log
>>>
>>>At the end of the make, i got messages:
>>>
>>>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find - llcms
>>>collect 2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>make[2]: *** [testawk] Error 1
>>>make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs ...
>>>make[2]: leaving directory '/root/xastir/src'
>>>make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>make[1]: leaving directory '/root/xastir'
>>>make: *** [all] Error 2
>>>

> When i have IMAGE_MAGICK undef, still i keep seeing
> lots of references to ImageMagick-5.5.7 in the
> compile messages that appear, and the errors i get
> are different:
>
> map_geo.c: In function 'draw_geo_image_map':
> map_geo.c:1499: 'pixel_pack' undeclared (first use in
>    this function)
> map_geo.c:1499: (Each undeclared identifier is
>    reported only once for each function it appears in.)
> map_geo.c:1499: 'l' undeclared (first use in this
>    function)
> make[2]: *** [map_geo.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs ....
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/xastir/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/xastir'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> One thing i probably should mention is that i have
> a lot of trouble compiling ANY program for Linux
> from source.  In the past two months i've had not
> much problem installing RPMs and other binaries,
> but have only succeeded compiling TWPSK and XASTIR
> 1.2.0.  Now Xastir 1.2.1 is not compiling, but i
> hope i can find a fix for that.

More'n likely you don't have all the headers and development stuff
installed, and possibly are missing some of the gnu c/c++/... stuff.

Gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173