[Xastir] maps

James Cour K1ZC at comcast.net
Tue Sep 23 09:58:05 EDT 2003

> Well, it only works on shapefile maps and possibly other vector maps. I
bet
> if you ask nicely, Curt might add another option to the Map Properties
> dialog to set the display level...

A display level zoom drop down box would be a great idea; I was going to
suggest myself.  And since we are asking Curt nicely, is there any reason we
cannot have an option to do Tiger either from Terraserver or local hard
disk?  If I have all the layers downloaded for my local area and stored on
my computer, I should be able to configure my local Tiger maps to work with
just the layers I select (similar to the main Tiger dialog box), without
having to click through all the individual map files.  Since I live in a
large metro area (Chicago) there are six different counties to deal with so
there are lots of different map files to choose from.  I never manage to get
it right the first time, and if I switch the view to topo maps, I have to
start all over again if I switch back to vector mapping.

Xastir is quite the piece of work.  While it was a bit of a pain to compile
and install under Windows, once you get it working it is simply amazing.
Kudos to Curt and the other developers!