[Xastir] Tracking in Xastir

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Sep 23 15:45:03 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, vic wrote:

> If I ask Xastir to track a specific station, does Xastir save a track plot,
> file, or log of the track up untill the time the station is removed from
> tracking?  How does one properly remove a station from tracking?
> Where does one find the file for replay?

It is only in memory until you save the track.  You could also log
the packets and then replay the log in order to get it all back.

> Presently tracking a station flying across country and do not want to lose it.
>
> Does tracking "time out" at some point?

Yea.  At the point the station gets cleared from memory.  Your
Timing settings change the interval.

I'd suggest periodically bringing up Station Info on that station
and then choose Store Track.  That will save the raw data (in a form
that we currently can't read back in!), but will also save a
Shapefile-format map of the track, if you have Shapelib compiled
in.

You can then copy the map from your ~/.xastir/tracklogs directory to
your maps directory, or make a link from your maps directory back to
your personal tracklogs directory, re-index, and you'll be able to
choose that map and view it.

If you want to recover the raw data, you can grep for that callsign
in your logs and save it to another file.  That assumes that you
have logging turned on.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin