[Xastir] maps

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Tue Sep 23 17:44:43 EDT 2003

> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 23:38, Brenda Wallace wrote:
> > that's what i thought that feature did, but it doesn't seem to work for
> > images.
> > i have lots of aerial photos available to xastir.
> > when i zoom out to national level, i can see xastir loading each aerial
> > map photo one by one, which isn't much use once I'm that far out...
> > what have i missed?

There is some experimental code to do this, look for "FUZZYRASTER" in
the code.  It is turned off by default, since it is actually kind of
hard to decide when to skip a map.  I tried picking a number of pixel
ratios (map pixels to screen pixels) to cut off drawing (stretching or
scrunching too much skips) but could not get a "good" number for all
the maps, probably needs to be added to the map properties list.  If
you really want to see it in action and are not enough of a programmer
to enable it, I can put it on a button under the map pulldown
relatively easily.

> I have to agree.  I am in Texas and I have all the Texas maps loaded
> (only Texas).  Even when I pan through my own county, every map is
> processed.  Even with Levels enabled.  Oh yes, I must be doing something
> wrong because
>
> a) I can't get lakes to be filled in polygons even with the map set to
> Draw Filled
> b) With map levels enabled I love the display of the map
> c) When I turn on map area color fills, my street level maps disappear
> d) setting the level numbers in the map choose doesn't seem to make any
> difference -- lakes still appears on TOP of roads

You also need to go into the map chooser's "properties" editor.  Set
the layer of the line maps (roads) higher than the area maps (water
polygons) and make sure they are also set to filled.  The default
order is to draw things in alphabetical order (the same order as in
the map chooser).  By setting the layer value they are drawn in
numerical order (lower numbers first) and alphabetically within the
same layer.

> Another nice feature would be multuiple map windows.  For example, I
> would like to have one map window with my local county, another with the
> continual USA and open as may as I wanmt for certain parts of the world.

With the current archetecture, this is really difficult.  It is on the
top of the list of requirements for Xastir-2.  One thing that can help
is the "map bookmarks".  I use them a lot for checking out other
regions, then pop back to my favorite view.  Unfortunenately it does
not save the list of selected maps, only the zoom/center.

Chris.
KD6ZWR
cbell at junknet.com