[Xastir] maps

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Fri Sep 26 21:29:18 EDT 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, J. Lance Cotton wrote:
>>Well, it only works on shapefile maps and possibly other vector maps. I bet
>>if you ask nicely, Curt might add another option to the Map Properties
>>dialog to set the display level...
>
> Perhaps the stuff that Alan is doing might accomplish the same thing
> as well?

Actually, Alan's code either tries to find a signature match with shapefiles
  in the maps directory, OR it can match up a single dbfawk file with a
single shapefile by filename.

So if the dbfawk code can be extended to other map types, then you could
throw in a dbfawk file for any non-vector maps and set the display level. A
bit overkill, but I think the whole dbfawk idea may work well as a general
map description file.

Maybe we could also/instead add another tag to the GEO file format to
specify the display level, since many (most? all?) bitmapped maps have a
corresponding GEO (or FGD file in the case of geotiffs).

To further generalize, could the map chooser and map properties functions be
rewritten to modify the dbfawk and geo files to store the per-map prefs
there instead of in the map index. As it is, if I (in the process of
debugging or something) have a problem with map files not indexing right, I
just trash the index. Of course that erases my layer settings and fill
settings. If we only stored the map index (bounds, filename, timestamp) in
the map index, we could store the prefs in a less volatile area.

--Rambling over--

-Lance

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.