[Xastir] maps

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Sep 27 15:41:40 EDT 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Gerry Creager wrote:
>

>>Recall, however, that shapefiles can also include layer data within the
>>file: Different elements can have different attribributes.  Not all
>>shapefiles are organized as Roads or Lakes, Rivers and Waterways.
>

> Perhaps, but all of the attributes must be described by the same dbf
> file, with all the same columns.  Also the file has to be all one type,
> be it points, polylines, or polygons (haven't investigated the 3d and
> multipatch types yet).

No, I've manipulated shapefiles in ArcView with various layer types.
One of the benefits of a layer is that it might be point, line, or
polygon.  One of the drawbacks is that, to establish and display a
centroid of a polygon, you have to add a point layer in the ESRI world,
while you can add a centroid as a metadata element in some of the others.

>>With a new computer in hand, I've got to get Xastir working here.
>>However, it's more getting the ancillary libs compiled and properly
>>placed, which I've gotta do for some other projects anyway, that is the
>>killer.  Xastir's almost always behaved nicely for me!
>

> One of the reasons why the GDAL integration would be very nice for
> us!  It would avoid having to compile in ImageMagick/libproj/
> libgeotiff for the majority of people.
>
> If we had GDAL and Shapelib integrated with our code and available
> from CVS, updating could be as simple as doing three cvs updates,
> and mostly guarantee that they'd all play together.  CVS Xastir would
> likely be working with the CVS versions of the other libraries due to
> Xastir developer activity.

I'll be awaiting developments.

73, gerry