[Xastir] Cool Xastir like tool...

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Sep 29 16:16:54 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Tyler Allison wrote:

> Not sure if any of the developers have seen this guys work so I thought
> I'd throw it out there:
>
> http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html
>
> His code takes the FREE USGS topo information and maps it out. You can
> then overlay road info directly from Mapquest and if that isnt all it can
> do radio propegation calculations.  Freaken awsome even without the radio
> stuff.
>
> I'd love to see the Topo stuff in Xastir. Or maybe it is and I just havent
> found it yet ;)

Yea.  We have topo maps, using USGS DRG topo map files.  I wrote the
code for that.  It's been in there two or three years now.  You just
need to install libproj/libgeotiff in order to use these files.
Sometimes that can be a bit of a trick though.  You need to do it
slowly and carefully, making sure that the order is correct and that
the libgeotiff and libtiff versions match, and sometimes copying a
couple of files from the libtiff source distribution into your
libgeotiff area before compiling.

Once you have that running, you can overlay any other map type on
top of it, except of course another raster image that'll obscure it.
I regularly overlay streets/lakes/rivers and GNIS objects on top of
topo maps.

Our code also crops off the white borders on the maps, stretches
them to be very nearly rectangles, and tiles them together into a
contiguous image.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin