[Xastir] Replaying logs made with trackme

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Mon Apr 12 13:15:53 EDT 2004

WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com> writes:

[... position bug woes and replaying question ...]

Curt> Are you referring to the position bug that I introduced, which
Curt> was fixed the following day?  If so, I apologize for that.
Curt> Sorry that you hit that exact CVS version right when you were
Curt> traveling and logging...

Yep, that's the bug.  Timing is everything.

Curt> As far as watching the travel via log files, we don't use the
Curt> timestamps at all when reading logs back in, and in fact we only
Curt> have a timestamp every 30 seconds or so in the log file as I
Curt> recall.  This can cause problems if we have an ongoing event,
Curt> lose power for some reason, then come back up and suck in the
Curt> logs in order to get the tactical screen back: If real-time
Curt> packets come in from stations of interest before/during the time
Curt> that the log is being read, we get screwy tracks as they all get
Curt> merged.

Hmm.  Timestamps are broken in Cygwin, I believe.  I'll update and
rebuild before taking the laptop on another roadtrip.  One good
solution to the problem you describe is to not permit log replaying
while any interface is open.

Curt> If we had full-blown timestamps in the log file for each packet
Curt> and used those timestamps to do inserts into our database, we
Curt> could reconstruct the proper track no matter what was coming in
Curt> or when.

You're assuming that one could "catch up" after the log replaying is
over, right?  Seems like a gamble.  Might be better to just lock out
the interfaces but that's just me.

Anyway, after reading this message and thinking about it a bit, what
I'd rather see as a solution is a small window with some buttons and a
text window large enough to show a line from the TNC or Internet
server log, and some buttons:  pause, stop, line advance, play.  A
setting in the config file controls how many lines are replayed per
second, using a slider or whatever.  The window displays the current
line in the log file, which is the line most recently processed.

This is good for debuggers and for post-event analysis and for
demonstrating xastir's coolness.  If Tom had had this feature, he
might have been able to isolate the bug faster and I wouldn't have
needed the feature. :-)

Jack.
- --
Jack Twilley