[Xastir] Newbie help...

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 19 15:49:16 EDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Bennett, Joe wrote:

> Found out-of-range or non-existent value (30683200) for COORDINATE_SYSTEM in
> config file, changing to 1

Thos kinds of messages can appear the first time you run Xastir, or
the first time when you upgrade to a new version.  They are letting
you know that some entries were missing from the config file, and
that it is constructing default values for you.

If you see those kinds of messages every time you start the program,
it means you most likely have a permissions problem for the config
file or the directories that contain it.

> XReadBitmapFile() failed: Bitmap not found? /usr/lib/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

That message could mean that you didn't go through the "make
install" phase properly, but looking at it I see that there's a
wrong path there.  You must be upgrading from an older copy of
Xastir (perhaps the really old one from SuSE?) as the path should be
/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/2x2.xbm

We have migration scripts for converting from the /usr/local/xastir
heirarchy to /usr/local/share/xastir, but these won't help you.  I'd
suggest copying your config files to a separate directory (or
renaming them), then starting up Xastir with a blank config file and
letting it construct the correct paths.  Also make sure you've
removed the RPM package for the old Xastir.

If you have any maps, move them to /usr/local/share/xastir/maps.
Check your other xastir directories to see if there might be other
things you wish to move.