[Xastir] Different .shp file formats?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 28 18:27:14 EDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Nick Kartsioukas wrote:

> I've got a bunch of .shp files here, but Xastir doesn't seem to want to
> use them.  Looking in the Map Chooser they don't even show up.  I've
> checked my file permissions and they've got global read access.  One of the
> files is at http://www.halibut.com/~change/blah/roads.shp
> Can someone take a look at it and see if it's valid?  Thanks!

Does your summary.log file show that you've got Shapelib compiled
in?

Did you index all?  Sometimes the timestamps are older on downloaded
files, so the "redindex new" option doesn't work in that case unless
you "touch" each of the files first.

Is the map showing up in ~/.xastir/config/map_index.sys?

Any errors in the Xterm when you index the map?

It's also possible that the map is in a different coordinate system.
I've seen some that are in state-plane coordinate system instead of
lat/long, and you have to convert those first before Xastir can use
them.