[Xastir] serial ports and tcpip

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Aug 2 17:09:31 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> I'm talking about this:
>
> Starting a listener connected to a pty port on the machine running
> Xastir.
>
> Start the remote end that connects back to the listener and connects
> to a real serial port.  That serial port has the weather station.
>
> Start a serial weather interface in Xastir, connected to that pty
> port.
>
> Would that work?  You're doing a serial->serial connection over the
> network, only one end is a /dev/ttyS? port, the other is a
> /dev/pty?? port.

Is netcat capable of that sort of operation?  From the help I got
out of the binary, it looks like it can do either end of the TCP/IP
connection, so I think it can.

If not, it wouldn't be all that hard to come up with a Perl or C
program to do it on each end.

In any case, once you get this working, we should add the procedure
to our docs.  People want to do this sort of thing all the time.