[Xastir] compiling on SuSE 9.1

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Aug 4 16:47:09 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Mark Rennebaum wrote:

> I finally got it working!
>
> What I had to do was uninstall the proj-4.4.8-1.i386.rpm pkg and install
> the PROJ.4-4.4.1-1.i586.rpm pkg (older version from
> http://dl.maptools.org/dl/proj/).
> The shapelib-1.2.8-1.i586.rpm pkg  then installed just fine.

Thanks for the pointers.  THose rpms installed cleanly, and both v1.3.2
and 1.3.3 compiled successfully.

However, when I attempt to start xastir, it fails with a message: cannot
open shared object file libproj.so.0: no such file or directory.

The file does indeed exist in /usr/local/lib.  I noticed that only the
libproj and shapelib files were in that directory, so I copied them to
/usr/lib/ where the rest of the libraries reside.  Now it starts up OK.
...one of the pitfalls of using non-SuSE RPMs.

FOr those walking this path after us:  THere's probably an option to rpm
that will redirect the install accordingly.

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin