[Xastir] Excessive system resoures

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Aug 11 13:13:41 EDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, KK6RW wrote:

> If the online Tiger map was showing, it would be zoomed to W. Washington
> area. When trying to open Online Tiger map, error is sent to bash shell::
> "xastir: unable to open image  `' : no such file or directory."

Did that function ever work for you on that machine?

> I did have index new maps on startup turned on, turned off and same results.
> High CPU usage starts immediately after I enter xastir & <enter>.
>
> System processes show very high but Xwin.exe, bash.exe and xastir.exe shows
> ~8%. System process percentage drops immediately once Xastir is stopped.

I'd try doing an update to Cygwin.  Another thing to test is to turn
off all interface in Xastir, including network interfaces and Server
Port, then kill/restart Xastir.  You should get exactly one Xastir
process in that case, and it shouldn't be really doing much of
anything.  If you're still seeing high CPU usage then I'm not sure
what to tell you.  Xastir shouldn't be using a lot of system
resources if it's not drawing/indexing maps or processing packets.

Gerry's idea about spyware may be applicable, or it could be
virus/worm/spam activity, but why it's tied to running the Xastir
executable I don't know.

Anyone else seeing high CPU activity with Cygwin/Xastir?

> It seems your server, archer at eskimo.com, does not like my email address
> Curt. Spamcop refuses mail from my server IP. Based on the past few days
> returned emails, it seems someone has hijacked my email address/mail server.
> I'm addressing the problem now.

Not much I can do about that from my end.  That's just my paid ISP.
If you're blocked, you have to find out why and then talk to the
blocking software folks once the problem is remedied.  Looks like
you're already working on that.