[Xastir] tnc-x

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Aug 16 16:55:16 EDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Hurt, Gerald wrote:

> Well I definitely think I like the AX.25 kernel networking, less
> opportunity for things to be incorrectly set up if the device names end
> up changing. Do you know if anyone has used the aux RS-232 port for GPS?
> I have an RS Digitraveler and could easily make an "all-in-one" type
> unit...

If you're using a TNC-X, you're in KISS mode.  The only way you'd be
able to merge GPS data in with the TNC data would be to run with
MKISS protocol.  If the TNC-X is capable of doing that merging and
running with MKISS (where the port identifier is in the KISS control
byte I think), then you could run the MKISS protocol in the AX.25
kernel drivers, but I think you'd still have to run something else
(like KISS2TNC if it exists) to convert the GPS KISS packets into
serial data for Xastir.

Xastir expects GPS data on:

1) A serial port,
2) An HSP setup, or
3) On an AUX setup (Pico-packet style, with Control-E causing the
end device to send a GPS string).