[Xastir] Opinions on this document?

Bill Bird billbird at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:14:32 EDT 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>

>>I'm toying with the idea of adding this document to our sources.  I
>>put it at this web address temporarily for people to look at:
>>
>>    http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/README.Getting-Started
>>
>>Comments?
>>
>>Is there a better method of accomplishing the same thing?
>>
>>One thing I thought of was creating a Wiki for this sort of
>>information, so that the users could tweak it and update it
>>constantly.
>

> I sent this to the Xastir-dev list, but have received exactly zero
> comments so far.  Now forwarding it to the "Xastir" list, which has
> a few more subscribers.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U			         http://www.eskimo.com/~archer

Curt,

I think your document will be useful to include with the sources.

After this section:

"Configure:
----------
When you run the "./configure" step from the "xastir" directory, the
script will attempt to figure out what facilities are available that
Xastir can take advantage of."

I'd consider adding a sentence or two about what minimal facilities will be
required (such as a C compiler!) and that if they are missing they can often be
added by installing the development tools from the Linux distribution originally
used to set up the computer.

73,

Bill Bird
KG0YJ