[Xastir] Libgeotiff & OS X

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Wed Aug 25 20:29:02 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:28:36PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Jeff Wigal wrote:
>
> > configure:12637: checking for GTIFNew in -lgeotiff
> > configure:12668: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -pipe -Wall  -I/usr/local/include
> > -I/sw/include  -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/local/lib  -L/sw/lib
> > -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lgeotiff  -lintl -lXm -lXt -lXp -lXext   -lSM
> > -lICE -lX11  -lshp -lpcre -lproj >&5
> > ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.a is out of
> > date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
>
> It isn't able to compile a sample application against that library.

The answer is in the error message.  cd to /usr/local/lib and run
"ranlib libgeotiff.a"

Mac OS X has the annoying habit of requiring ranlib to be run for stupid
reasons.  Using "mv" on a lib file is enough to cause that error.  The mind
boggles.

We have this same problem at work  all the time when we build our application
and its dependent libraries on OS X.  If our library guy builds our libraries
in a sandbox and copies them over to our central location after testing them
and forgets to re-ranlib them, then we have exactly the same error show up
in our configure script.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey