[Xastir] Creating own vector maps?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Aug 27 08:02:55 EDT 2004

Check out Qgis.  I don't think actually editing shapefiles is working
yet, but it's coming.

Digitizing your own maps turns out to be a lot mroe work than one would
think, and registration and rectification of the raster is needed before
you can digitize points or lines/polylines.

If you can swing it, you can do all of this and end up with a shapefile
using MapInfo.  A full-up version of ArcView would also work.  Neither
is cheap, and both require Windoze at this point.

I think Qgis is showing a lot of promise.

Others from the Open Source world include GRASS, as probably the most
well-rounded contender.

For a view of what the Open Source folks are talking about, look here:
http://www.omsug.ca/osgis2004/proceedings.html

this occurred this summer (I was on vacation and domestically
constrained from attending) and all reports were favorable!