[Xastir] Digipeating

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Tue Aug 31 22:24:01 EDT 2004

Tyler,

Yes, I will keep running ui-view32 via agwpe on a Windows box. If it ever
reaches that point I can keep agwpe running by itself, and use it to manage
the tncs > serial ports.(assuming I can get the Debian machine to properly
run on a Windows network (I had some real problems trying to get a Red Hat
version working properly, but I'm sure I just had no idea what I was
doing)).

The ideal solution (in my mind) would be if Xastir would talk to Digi-ned
and Digi-ned talked to the TNC's, so the box could stand alone if desired.
Again, this is conceptually different due to my existing experience. Right
now ui-view32 talks to agwpe which manages the tncs....BUT, ui-view32 has
internals to handle smart digipeating. Another possible solution is agwpe
digi...but I don't know it's capabilities....and it keeps windows in the
picture.

Thanks for your ideas, they were very informative. Perhaps others will be
able to see what I'm currently doing, and how Xastir and digi-ned may or may
not fit into this "conceptual" framework.

This would not be such an issue if it weren't VERY IMPORTANT for home
stations (at least a few key ones) to be full performance smart digis at the
same time they run the client software. Currently, the only client I know
that does this is ui-view32. I don't object to running multiple distinct
programs to accomplish the same thing, but I do want them to be integrated
so Xastir sees the RF ports transparently, even if being managed by
digi-ned.

I have a LOT to learn....but I want to get the concepts down first. If I
can't do what I need to do conceptually, then that's another matter. I'm
betting there is some combo available, short of agwpe and agwpe digi.

73,

...hasan, N0AN