[Xastir] APRSPoint discussion from APRS sig

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Fri Dec 3 15:28:04 EST 2004

On the APRS sig, there was some discussion about APRSPoint vs Xastir.

I thought I would toss my comments about using other mapping software into
this group to get your feedback.

I use Delorme Street Atlas USA 2004 and Delorme Topo USA 3.0.

These have some features that I really like:

These are listed in the order that I find them useful.

1. Fast map scrolling.
The biggest improvement that I would like to see in Xastir is faster map
scrolling/changing. I suspect that the reason it is currently as slow as it is
is because of the large number of map formats supported (one of Xastir's
greatest features). One way that I can imagine increasing the speed would be
to convert all maps to a single format. Is this on one of the developer's idea
list? Maybe not all map types would be able to fit into this format, but it's
a thought worth exploring.

2. "smart" zooming (i.e., different level of details shown at different zoom
levels)
I just began playing with Xastir's Auto Maps feature this past week; this
comes very close to giving me what I want in the smart zooming...it just takes
some knowledge, thought and patience :-)

3. 2 zooms viewable at the same time (smaller wide-view window in the lower
right corner).
Multiple map windows available within Xastir - I know this is already on the
list. But I like the one window interfact that Delorme uses; I can imagine
Xastir using something similar to it - if you have not seen Delorme Street
Atlas, picture this:
Large map window in the upper Left;
Zoom functions/bief informatino on right side-bar;
Small map with larger area/little detail in bottom right;
Tab interface in the bottom left with tabs for various functions.

In Xastir, I could see the tab interface used for the windows that pop-open
now (i.e., station information, view stations, etc).

4. Route planning/turn-by-turn, voice navigation.
Xastir talks, but navigation is not on it's list of things to do. I can see
why it would never make the Xastir to-do list.

5. Fast flexible find feature.
I have not played with this feature in Xastir very much, but when I have, it
seems to be much less flexable than Delorme's; and Delorme has many more
points of interest to display (businesses, etc).

6. Ability to "draw" on maps.
I do this now in Xastir by creating my own shapfile maps and selecting them to
display. Delorme only tops it by allowing you do do it interactively.

If I could get something like APRSpoint to work with current versions of
Street Atlas, I would probably use that in place of Xastir (on my Windows
box). What do you guys think? Is this comparing apples to oranges or do some
of my ideas have merit?

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU