[Xastir] Cygwin and dbfawk

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 8 14:14:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, N7YGE wrote:

> gcc  -g -O2 -pipe -Wall -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -L/ImageMagick-5.5.3/lib -L/home/Administrator/ImageMagick-5.5.3/ttf/objs
> -L/home/Administrator/ImageMagick-5.5.3/ttf/objs/.libs
> -L/home/Administrator/ImageMagick-5.5.3/xml
> -L/home/Administrator/ImageMagick-5.5.3/xml/.libs -L/usr/lib -o xastir.exe
> alert.o awk.o bulletin_gui.o color.o datum.o db.o dbfawk.o draw_symbols.o
> fcc_data.o festival.o geo-find.o geocoder_gui.o gps.o hashtable.o
> hashtable_itr.o hostname.o igate.o interface.o interface_gui.o io-common.o
> io-mmap.o lang.o list_gui.o locate_gui.o location.o location_gui.o main.o
> maps.o map_cache.o map_dos.o map_geo.o map_gdal.o map_gnis.o map_pdb.o
> map_shp.o map_tif.o map_tiger.o messages.o messages_gui.o popup_gui.o
> rac_data.o rotated.o snprintf.o sound.o track_gui.o util.o
> view_message_gui.o wx.o wx_gui.o xa_config.o x_spider.o  -lXm -lXt -lX11
> -lMagick -lfreetype -lbz2 -lz -lgdi32 -lpthread -lm -ldb-4.2 -lintl -lcurl
> -lXm -lXt -lXp -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lshp -lpcre -lproj -ltiff -lgeotiff
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Everything looks great all the way to the final link stage.  That's
the stage that on Windows/Cygwin takes inordinate amounts of memory
and CPU.  I'd make sure you've got enough swap and just let it run.

Of course, I've seen a Win2k system that had 128k of memory and
couldn't complete this step.  We had to add memory to the machine
before it could complete.

I have no idea why the link stage on Cygwin uses so much memory, but
it does.  You might add in a bunch of "--without-XX" lines at the
configure stage to knock out some libraries.  That will reduce the
memory needed at the link stage.

> I will now go back and reload all the side packages that are specifically
> named and to be downloaded from specific download sites as specified in the
> ReadmeWin32 file.

I doubt that will help.  What might help is to remove/disable as
many running programs as you can and try it again.  Watch your
memory at that last stage.  If it goes up/down/up/down in a slow
cycle, it probably needs more free memory in order to complete.