[Xastir] question on "injecting" data into xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 8 17:20:11 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, James Washer wrote:

> I have access to quite a bit of local whether information and road information here in northern Nevada ( where there's not bandwidth problems on APRS (yet))
>
> I'd like to "inject" this data into the APRS system, but I'm not sure how. I can figure out how to make the data look like whether station reports (using perl) but can I "send" it to xastir, or have xastir read from a socket?
>
> Hmm, as I'm writing this, I suspect that is the answer, just write a little server in perl and setup an xastir interface to read it.
>
> Is that the best plan? Is there a better way? Any caveats?

That should work just fine.  It's probably how I would go about it.
If you try to inject into port 2023, I don't think it'll end up
getting igated to RF.

If you have Xastir connect to a Perl listening socket, then Xastir
things it is the INET stream and can gate it to RF if you set things
up properly (nws-stations.txt file).